Health Effects from EMFs
Electromagnetic Radiation Effects On People From Everyday Electronics
The technologies we use today, from our everyday appliances, cell phones, even our cars, emit electromagnetic radiation & EM radiation that can penetrate and affect us, seriously compromising our health and disturbing our environments.
- For years, scientists have conducted research linking EM radiation to serious diseases like cancer, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and others. (See studies.)
- After an extensive review of 2,000+ such studies, the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences concluded EMFs “should be regarded as possible carcinogens.”
- An international group of leading researchers recently came out stating, “the existing standards for public safety are completely inadequate to protect health.” (more on the Bioinitiative report below).
- Forward-thinking nations around the world are starting to set stricter EMF safety limits.
- Even the EPA now cautions you to “limit your exposure.”
Why Is EM Radation Exposure So Dangerous?
You may not realize it, but your own body uses electromagnetic fields to function properly. In fact, research has demonstrated that every cell in your body may have its own EMF.
In his book “The Body Electric,” researcher and author Robert Becker demonstrates that our cells actually communicate with each other via bioelectrical signals and electromagnetic fields. These natural EMFs help regulate important biochemical processes of all kinds. Maintaining balance in those cellular electromagnetic fields is crucial to your physical health.
What Are The Dangers Of EM Radiation To Humans?
Unfortunately, your body can also be influenced by the powerful artificial EM Radiation around you. That’s where the trouble starts.
How Does Harmful Electromagnetic Radiation Get Into Your Body?
When it comes to magnetic radiation (which is part of any EMF—see EMF explained for more on that), the body is as easily penetrated as air. This means if you are near a powerful EMF, electromagnetic radiation isn’t just around you, it’s inside you.
According to Dr. Becker, your body’s electrical signals are well within the range of those that can be stimulated by ambient radio waves, microwaves and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. That harmful, unnatural type of stimulation can seriously impact your body.
EM Radiation Can Cause Health Chaos…
Artificial EMFs change the frequency of your body's electromagnetic fields through a process called entrainment (or sympathetic resonance). Entrainment is the tendency of an object to vibrate at the same frequency as something outside of it. In other words, powerful artificial EMFs overwhelm your body’s own electrical fields, changing their frequency and distorting the balance of the body's electromagnetic field and its communication systems. This causes physical, mental and emotional chaos.
The danger doesn’t always pass once you get away from the strong electromagnetic field. That’s because biological systems have been proven to store electromagnetic radiation within the cells in the form of electromagnetic oscillations. These oscillations can stubbornly remain inside you, wreaking havoc with your body’s most important processes.
Compounding this problem, metallic objects all around us act as antennae. These include electrical circuits, telephone wiring, water and gas pipes, even your keys and jewelry, which collect and re-radiate these disorienting energy waves.
The highest frequency energy waves (X-rays, gamma rays and others) can break chemical and molecular bonds, and can literally rip atoms apart, disrupting the basic biochemical structures of life.
The healthy human body resonates at around 10 hertz. Frequencies above that create biological stress, tissue damage and serious health problems.
Have There Been Any Electromagnetic Radiation Studies?
Yes. Thousands of studies worldwide have shown that overexposure to EMFs can lead to weakened immunities, lowered resistance to bacterial and viral infections and devastating illnesses like cancer.
The BioInitiative Working Group sounds the alarm
An International working group of leading scientists, researchers and public health policy professionals is bringing scientific concerns about the radiation to light.
Their 2007 report, the BioInitiative Report
, concludes that the existing standards for public safety are completely inadequate to protect your health. The report includes studies showing evidence that electromagnetic fields:
- Affects gene and protein expression (Transcriptomic and Proteomic Research)
- Have Has genotoxic effects – RFR and ELF DNA damage
- Induces stress response (Stress Proteins)
- Affects immune function
- Affects Neurology and behavior
- Causes childhood cancers (Leukemia)
- Impacts melatonin production; Alzheimer’s Disease; Breast Cancer
- Promotes breast cancer (Melatonin links in laboratory and cell studies)
Other well-known studies link EMFs to:
- Enzyme changes that affect DNA and cell growth; possible result is cancer and birth defects.
- Changed metabolism and increased cell growth.
- Fetal abnormalities, probably caused by enzyme changes.
- Gene expression changes, which creates stress on your body and even result in cancer.
- Increased production of stress proteins within cells, linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Chronic stress, which can lead to heart conditions.
- Neuro-hormone changes, which can result in memory loss and impaired brain function.
- Electro-smog disturbs the growth of cells and the information flow between cells.
The Higher The EMF Frequency, The More Serious The Health Effect.
The fields that appear to be of most concern are those that are very strong, near the body, or of high frequency.
Electromagnetic Radiation In Your Home
The Special Dangers Of Cell Phone Electromagnetic Radiation
Because cellphones have such powerful EMFs (usually in the microwave range!) and are held to the head or kept close to the body, they are especially dangerous. (See cellphone studies for links to specific research.)
- Cellphones emit two kinds of EMFs - microwave electromagnetic radiation from the antenna, and more EMFs from the phone body – both are harmful.
- 20-80% of the radiation from a phone’s antenna penetrates up to 2 inches into the adult brain.
- Cell phones have thermal effects (they heat biological tissue) as well as non-thermal effects (affecting natural EMF frequencies)
- Studies have shown that people who sleep with a cellphone by the bed have poor REM sleep, leading to impaired learning and memory. Long-term effects remain to be seen.
- When the cellphone signal is held next to the head, brainwaves are altered a full 70% of the time.
- Many insurance companies are so alarmed by the evidence that they now exclude health issues related to cell phone radiation from coverage.
- Most brain surgeons limit their cellphone use, and counsel patients never to hold them to their ears.
Yes, electromagnetic radiation can harm human health, and the dangers are all around us. Read what Doctors have to say:
“If Mobile Phones Were a Type of Food, They Simply Would Not be Licensed,"
~Dr. Gerald Hyland, The Lancet
“The evidence for risks from prolonged cell phone and cordless phone use is quite strong. For people who have used them for 10 years or longer, mainly on one side of the head, the risk of malignant brain tumor is doubled for adults and is even higher for persons with first use before age 20.”
~Brain tumor specialist Dr. Lennart Hardell, MD, PhD, Orebro University Hospital in Sweden
“There is a strong evidence that EMFs and radio/microwave frequencies are associated with accelerated aging (enhanced cell death and cancer) and moods, depression, suicide, anger, rage and violence, primarily through alteration of cellular calcium ions and the melatonin/serotonin balance.”
~Dr. Neil Cherry of Lincoln University, New Zealand